Bacon and Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast
Stuffed chicken breast with cream cheese and bacon. That’s right. It tastes as good as it sounds, and I can’t wait for you to try it. This delicious recipe features a cream cheese filling with sauteed spinach, garlic powder, and shredded mozzarella cheese, married with some mouthwatering bacon.
Methods of Stuffing Chicken Breast
There are a few different ways to do stuffed chicken breast. In one method, the chicken breast is slit along the middle, creating a pocket on the inside for all the filling. Another method is to flatten the chicken breast with a mallet, putting the filling in the middle, rolling it up and securing it with butcher twine. In this recipe, I decided to make the cuts from the top of the chicken breast.
The Best Filling
Cream cheese melts easily, and I thought that stuffing it this way may prevent the cream cheese from melting all over the sheet pan. Plus, it’s prettier. It actually ended up being easier to stuff this way, in my opinion. I cooked the bacon beforehand, and put it into the chicken breast before baking in the oven.
Cream cheese and bacon are not only an excellent filling for the stuffed chicken breast, but they also keep the meal low carb and keto. With a salad or low carb vegetable side, this is a great keto meal.
When cutting the chicken breast from the top, be sure not to cut too deep into it. You don’t want to cut all the way through. Use a disposable pastry bag, like this one here, or zip top sandwich bag to stuff the filling into the chicken. If you are sustainable and like to reuse things, check out these reusable pastry bags that hold up a little better than the plastic ones. Alternatively, you can make stuffed chicken breast by cutting into the side of the breast.
Have any leftover cream cheese filling? Add it to macaroni and cheese, or even in a Crescent Roll for a delicious snack. I had some filling left over and made incredible macaroni and cheese the next day!
Bacon & Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 4 medium chicken breasts
- 4 slices bacon fully cooked
Cream Cheese Filling
- 4 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup fresh spinach chopped
- 1/4 cup frozen spinach thawed
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Take cold chicken breasts, and make 4-5 slits in the top of each breast. Be careful not to cut all the way through the chicken breast – just enough to put filling inside.
- If you haven't already, cook the bacon fully. Break or chop into 1-inch pieces. Set aside. In a small amount of the bacon fat, cook the fresh spinach until wilted.
- For the cream cheese mixture, be sure that your cream cheese is at room temperature. In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, spinach, garlic powder, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Combine mixture with a rubber spatula and transfer to a zip-top sandwich bag.
- Cut a very small tip off of one bottom side of the zip-top bag, creating a pastry bag. Start to pipe the filling into each slit in the chicken breasts. Add the pieces of bacon into the slits once they are filled.
- Place chicken on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or foil. Bake at 350° F for 30 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165° F.
- Remove chicken from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before eating.
- Serve with your favorite sides and enjoy.