Make Ahead Freezer Burritos
Make Ahead Freezer Burritos
These make ahead freezer burritos are a lifesaver. Easy and reasonably fast to make, they are perfect for a quick breakfast or dinner for the family or yourself on a solo night. I often try to eat paleo or healthier, or sometimes I make things that Brad doesn’t love, like liver and onions. On nights like this, I know he will always be a happy with a burrito. Making these burritos ahead of time is such a great hack.
Making these ahead not only ensures you have dinner prepped and ready, but they’re also a great excuse to use up leftovers in the fridge. We love Mexican food in this house, so I’m always making tacos, burrito bowls, taco salads, enchiladas, etc. I ALWAYS cook more than the two of us can eat, so these make ahead freezer burritos are my way of avoiding food waste.
Breakfast… or Not
Like I mention in the recipe, you can make breakfast burritos or any type of burrito! Add your favorite taco meat, rice, or beans and you’ve got yourself a burrito. Half of these burritos are egg and potato, while the other half is taco-flavored ground turkey with rice. Since we have so many burritos in the freezer, I always try to have my Bright Red Chunky Salsa on hand. What is a burrito without salsa??
Storing the Burritos in the Freezer
These burritos hold up very well in the freezer. Once done I wrap them in foil and vacuum seal each individual one. That may seem like a lot of waste and time, so you are welcome to store yours in a large freezer-safe bag. The Food Saver vacuum sealer is one of my most used tools in the kitchen. It is great at keeping out freezer burn and helps things last longer in the freezer and fridge.
Reheating Frozen Burritos
The frozen burritos cook in the microwave for a quick 2 ½ – 3 minutes wrapped in a damp paper towel. I recommend starting with two minutes and cutting it in half to see how cold the fillings are. My microwave cooks them perfectly in 2 ½ minutes, but as we all know microwaves can be so different. Another tip I have is to crisp up the burritos after they are warmed. I use a saute pan over medium heat and brush a very small amount of butter or oil on each side of the burrito. Heat until your desired crispiness, and don’t forget to flip to get crispy on all sides.
I have taken these burritos on camping trips and they held up perfectly. By the time we needed them they were mostly thawed. I threw them on the grill or cast-iron skillet to heat, and they were amazing. It’s a perfect camping meal with virtually NO MESS!
You may also be interested in these Mexican-style recipes:
Salsa Recipes to Try:
You may also like these other make ahead recipes:
Make Ahead Freezer Breakfast Burritos
- 1 package of 10 burrito-size tortillas
- 12 eggs
- ¾ bag frozen hash browns
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning optional
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp butter or oil
Any Type of Burrito:
- Favorite burrito ingredients
- I often use leftover ingredients from burrito bowl or taco night
- Cook frozen hash browns according to package instructions. Season with ½ tbsp of taco seasoning.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, salt, pepper and ½ tbsp of taco seasonings together.
- In a large saute pan, warm oil over medium heat and lightly cook the scrambled eggs. They will cook more in the oven, so a light scramble will be fine.
- Once eggs and potatoes are done, let them come to room temperature before preparing burritos.
- Warm up the tortillas in the oven or microwave. I place my tortillas in a large cast iron skillet and warm them in the oven. The heat from the cast iron skillet will keep the tortillas warm while preparing the burritos.
- Burrito tortillas can vary in size, so try your best to split ingredients evenly between all tortillas. The tortillas I had could fit 1 tbsp cheese, ¼ cup of eggs, and ¼ cup of hash browns.
- Carefully wrap each tortilla into a burrito. Wrap each burrito in foil and add to a freezer safe bag. I use a food vacuum sealer to avoid freezer burn.
- To reheat, remove foil and wrap in a damp paper towel; cook in the microwave for 2 ½ – 3 minutes, depending on your microwave.
- If you have the time, put your warmed burrito in a lightly oiled saute pan to crisp on each side. Not necessary but adds great texture and flavor!
- You can also make these burritos with anything. I often make freezer burritos with leftover ingredients from a burrito bowl or taco night.