Loaded Mashed Cauliflower Casserole
This loaded mashed cauliflower casserole is the perfect low carb substitute for loaded mashed potatoes. It was my sister’s idea to make this, and what a great idea it was! I see a lot of loaded cauliflower casserole recipes, but they never have mashed cauliflower. Even though it’s an extra step, it makes it all worthwhile.
Ingredients & Process
I use a food processor to mash the steamed or boiled cauliflower until it’s completely smooth. Depending on how large your heads of cauliflower are, you’ll use an 8×8 or a 9×13 pan. I used a small head of cauliflower in this recipe since there was only two of us. If you get a larger size, make sure to add more yummy fillings!
Sour cream is always a staple ingredient in baked potato dishes, and it adds a thick creaminess. An egg or two holds things together and makes the dish a little denser. Bacon is also a must ingredient for potato dishes. I recommend adding the bacon pieces after you have combined everything in the food processor to keep larger chunks for texture. Don’t use all the bacon, though! Add extra bacon and cheese to the top of the casserole, along with some chopped green onions.
Keto & Low-Carb
You will love this casserole. It’s like a lighter, low-carb version of loaded mashed potatoes. Also, this dish is keto-friendly! Feel free to get creative with this recipe. Add your favorite toppings or fillings. This would be great as an entrée by adding chicken or pork. You can also eat it on the side of your favorite BBQ or family meal.
This loaded mashed cauliflower casserole would go perfectly on the side of these recipes:
Looking for more side dishes? Check out these recipes:
Loaded Cauliflower Casserole
- Food processor or blender
- 1 ½ – 2 heads cauliflower
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- 4 slices cooked bacon chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Steam cauliflower until fork tender, and then put in blender or food processor with butter until you’ve reached a mashed potato consistency.
- Let the cauliflower cool completely in food processor carafe.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Set aside ¼ cup each of cheese, scallions, and bacon for the topping.
- Add remaining ingredients into food processor, and pulse until combined. If you want bigger chunks of bacon, you can add it in after you’ve combined everything else in the food processor.
- Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray and add the cauliflower mixture to the pan, smoothing out with a rubber spatula.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and add cheese. Return pan to oven for just long enough for the cheese to melt. You could also broil it until the cheese gets browned and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and top with reserved bacon and green onion.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes before enjoying.