Lemon and Cucumber Tzatziki with Fresh Herbs
Tzatziki is a yogurt-based sauce that is often used with Mediterranean cuisine. You’ll see it at every Greek or Mediterranean restaurant, and it is a must-have for me. Whether I get a gyro, a platter or a salad, you will see tzatziki on it!
Tzatziki is one of my very favorite sauces, and one of my favorite things about Greek food. Traditionally, it’s a yogurt-based sauce made with cucumber, lemon, dill, garlic, and sometimes red wine vinegar. The difference in this recipe is that it has lemon zest, which gives it a fun zing and extra flavor.
You can use this sauce as a dip for vegetables, on a gyro, or on a Greek salad. I made my Marinated Greek Chicken with turmeric rice and a Greek salad and poured the tzatziki over the chicken. As always, I ended up mixing it with everything on the plate, it was so delicious!
When making this sauce, I usually shred the cucumber with a handheld grater, but you could also cut the cucumber into small chunks. I use a zester like this one for the lemon zest, and a million other applications in my kitchen.
This recipe is great with my Marinated Greek Chicken!
For another delicious and healthy sauce, check out my Green Chimichurri Sauce recipe.
Lemon and Cucumber Tzatziki
- 1 ½ cups full-fat plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup shredded or chopped cucumber drained
- 2 tbsp fresh mint chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice or juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 garlic clove grated or minced
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Place cucumber in a colander or strainer and sprinkle with salt. Let sit for 5-10 minutes to leach out water. Squeeze in a paper towel if you want to remove more liquid.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir well to combine.