Beer Cheese Dip
My mom made these delicious and chewy sourdough pretzels from scratch, so of course I had to make a beer cheese dip to go with them. Beer cheese dip is a rich and creamy cheese dip incorporated with beer and spices. You can find it at almost any brewery restaurant. Get it, it’s delicious.
I’m an Arizona girl, and I had to make a dip with a local Arizona beer. Huss Brewing makes a German style Kolsch called Scottsdale Blonde, and being a long-time fan of it I thought it was a perfect choice. It’s a local favorite, and its lager flavor makes it ideal for a beer cheese dip. A lager is a great option for beer cheese dip but get creative and try your favorite beer.
The process to make this beer is incredibly easy and only takes 5-10 to cook. To make this beer cheese dip, I first made a roux with equal parts butter and flour in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Second, I slowly whisked in 8 ounces of Huss Brewing Scottsdale Blonde to make a thickened sauce. 10 ounces leaves a strong beer flavor, which I love. If you want less of a beer taste you can add 6-8 ounces.
Third, add your room temperature cream cheese to the sauce and stir to melt and combine. Make sure the cream cheese is at room temperature, otherwise you could end up with some chunky or curdled cheese sauce. Then, add in the Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and seasonings, stirring to combine. Lastly, stir in your shredded cheese and quickly remove the mixture from the heat. Shredding your own cheese yields a smoother, more ideal consistency. Pre-shredded cheese can cause lumps due to the anti-caking agents added in.
Game Night Appetizer
Enjoy your beer cheese dip for a party or game night. It pairs perfectly with fresh baked sourdough pretzels, hard pretzels, and even crackers and tortilla chips! I was thinking about making something delectable: Beer Cheese Nachos with leftover Sweet & Smoky BBQ Ribs, onions, jalapenos, pepperoncinis, fresh tomatoes, and a drizzle of Sweet & Smoky BBQ Sauce. Yes, I’m sure I would need to go on a juice cleanse the next day, but I’m certain it would be worth it!
For more snacks and appetizers, check out these recipes!
Beer Cheese Dip
- 6-8 oz Huss Brewing Scottsdale Blonde or your favorite lager
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 oz cream cheese softened and cut into cubes
- ¼ cup AP flour
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ tbsp Worcestershire
- 1 tbsp Horseradish Mustard or your favorite mustard
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese*
- ½ cup shredded favorite cheese* smoked gouda or another cheddar would work great
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat and add flour to make a roux. Whisk to keep lumps from forming. Cook for a few minutes.
- After a few minutes, slowly whisk in beer and milk.
- Add mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and spices. Whisk to combine.
- Add cream cheese and stir or whisk in until melted and combined.
- Remove saucepan from heat and add the remainder of the cheese. Stir in slowly until completely melted.
- Enjoy with hot sourdough pretzels, tortilla chips, or even vegetable sticks alongside a tall pint of ice cold beer.