21 Ways to Enjoy Avocado Toast
I realize I’m late on the avocado toast train, but I just bought a ticket and I’m loving the ride! I usually avoid bread, so I never tried avocado toast until last year. My co-worker made me a simple but delicious avocado toast with feta, grape tomatoes, salt, and pepper at work one day, and I fell in love. So simple, but so incredibly fresh and tasty. The next day she made me one with mango, pomegranate seeds, feta, salt, and pepper. My life was changed, and I was now obsessed with avocado toast.
Avocado is very neutral tasting. Because of the pit, it is considered a fruit but is not sweet nor savory. The great thing about this fruit is that you can use it as a healthy vegetable, and you can even sweeten it up. It takes on flavors very easily, making it versatile and useful in many ways. Smashed in guacamole, sliced in a sandwich, diced in a ceviche, and even mashed into a chocolate pudding or brownies. Yes, I have used avocado to make a rich chocolate mousse, healthy flavorful brownies, and even a fun and tasty chocolate pudding. Avocado toast is a blank canvas, and you can use it for so many applications.
Spreading avocado on toast is my new favorite application for it. It seemed so cliché and boring back when it was the hottest thing on the block. I managed to avoid ever trying avocado toast, and for that I am deeply sorry and regretful. Over the last few months stuck in quarantine, I did some experiments with my favorite toppings. There are so many ways to top your avocado toast. It’s almost like a bruschetta, but with avocado as the base. Since avocado has such a neutral flavor, you can add almost anything to avocado toast.
I have a few simple tips for your avocado toast. Let’s start with the bread and build our way up. Toast tip #1 is to have a substantial type of bread. Avocado toast works best on a thick slice of bread that can stand up to toppings. A multi-seed wheat is a great option. I had thin sourdough bread which tasted great but didn’t hold up well to heavy toppings.
Toast tip #2 is to get your avocado ripe, and right. Having a ripe avocado is important because it helps spread on the toast more easily. I use 1/3 of a large avocado or ½ of a small one for each toast. I apply sliced avocado to the bread and spread it to each edge with a fork.
Toast tip #3 is to add something salty. A briny cheese like feta or goat cheese, or a salty protein like bacon or prosciutto help to add balance to this dish. I always add salt and pepper no matter what my toppings are. Avocado has a neutral flavor, so adding something salty or lemony really helps it come alive.
21 Ways to Eat Avocado Toast
Here are some of my favorite toppings:
- Lemon-Dressed Arugula, Smoked Salmon, Goat Cheese, Capers and Fresh Dill with S & P
I love to make a simple lemon vinaigrette with lemon juice and olive oil to dress your greens in. It adds brightness to the greens and the avocado.
2. Lemon-Dressed Arugula, Radishes, and Goat Cheese with S & P
3. Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes, Basil, Fresh Mozzarella, and Balsamic Glaze with S & P
Just like caprese!
4. Fried Runny Egg and Everything Bagel Seasoning
5. Radishes, Dill and Goat Cheese
6. Lemon-Dressed Arugula, Crispy Prosciutto, and Marinated Grape Tomatoes with S & P
7. Smoked Salmon, Red Onion, Goat Cheese, Capers and Chives with S&P
8. Fresh Mango and Tajin
9. Fresh Mango, Pomegranate Seeds, and Feta Cheese with S & P
10. Arugula, Crispy Prosciutto, and Marsala-Marinated Mango with S & P
This one is based on my favorite salad that my mom makes. Marinade the mango in a small amount of marsala cooking wine and use the marinade to make a vinaigrette. Toss the arugula in the marsala vinaigrette. This salad usually has shaved parmesan, which would be delicious on the avocado toast as well.
11. Strawberries, Goat Cheese, Basil and Balsamic Glaze with S & P
12. Grape Tomatoes, Feta Cheese, and a Squeeze of Lemon with S & P
A squeeze of lemon is a great way to brighten up the toppings on your avocado toast!
13. Marinated Grape Tomatoes with Fresh Herbs, Feta Cheese and Basil with S&P
Marinating tomatoes in a vinaigrette with fresh herbs is a great way to add flavor. This is also delicious with goat cheese!
Other great ways to try your avocado toast:
14. Plain with Everything Bagel Seasoning
15. Smoked Salmon, Goat Cheese, Chives, and Everything Bagel Seasoning with S & P
16. Arugula, Bacon and Grape Tomatoes with S & P (like a BLT!)
17. Grape Tomatoes, Jalapenos, Cilantro and Lime with S & P (like deconstructed guacamole)
18. Spinach or Arugula, Roasted Red Peppers, Goat Cheese and Lemon with S & P
19. Sliced Tomato, Lemon Juice, and Everything Bagel Seasoning
20. Sprouts, Pickled Onions, and Feta Cheese with S & P
21. Roasted Red Peppers, Fresh Mozzarella, and Fresh Herbs with S & P